Good day! My name is Gwendolyn Cook Webb and I am running for Birmingham City Council District 4. I have lived in Birmingham for over 60 years and have marched with Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., served as a police officer, am the founder and CEO of Foot Soldiers International, and am an active participant in my community.
I am running for Birmingham City Council because I have a clear vision for what I want to see change in my district and Birmingham overall.
As your City Councilor, some of my efforts will be to work with colleagues to:
- Partner with our school system to open Kirby Middle School in North Birmingham, Callaway Elementary School in Collegeville and Gate City School in Gate City for Elementary Remedial as well as Adult Continuing Ed and Technical Education courses.
- Create free civics classes – how government and the economy work – voting rights and how to petition government to correct grievances – for all adults 18+.
- Expand neighborhood code enforcement for quality of life! Contract for better lighting, eliminating overgrown lots and abandoned housing. Explore creation of pocket parks.
- Restore city workers’ holiday pay.
- Promote public safety officer recruitment from their local neighborhoods. Bring in recruitment success story trainers from other local departments nationally.
- Assist neighborhood associations in securing tax exempt status to facilitate fund raising capability beyond the City of Birmingham.
- Open City Hall for free notary services twice a month.
- Assure that nominations for appointments to the Birmingham Water Works Board and other city agencies are filled with people of proven commitment to the progress of the City of Birmingham and its people.
I hope you will join me in my campaign and support me as I work towards making Birmingham District 4 and, in turn, all of Birmingham a more educated, safer, and prosperous place to be.
If you wish to volunteer, please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org or the Contact Page. If you wish to make a donation, please do so here. Thank you and god bless!