As your City Councilor, some of my efforts will be to work with colleagues to:
- Partner with our school system to open Kirby Middle School in North Birmingham, Callaway Elementary School in Collegeville and Gate City School in Gate City for Elementary Remedial as well as Adult Continuing Ed and Technical Education courses.
- Create free civics classes – how government and the economy work – voting rights and how to petition government to correct grievances – for all adults 18+.
- Expand neighborhood code enforcement for quality of life! Contract for better lighting, eliminating overgrown lots and abandoned housing. Explore creation of pocket parks.
- Restore city workers’ holiday pay.
- Promote public safety officer recruitment from their local neighborhoods. Bring in recruitment success story trainers from other local departments nationally.
- Assist neighborhood associations in securing tax exempt status to facilitate fund raising capability beyond the City of Birmingham.
- Open City Hall for free notary services twice a month.
- Assure that nominations for appointments to the Birmingham Water Works Board and other city agencies are filled with people of proven commitment to the progress of the City of Birmingham and its people.
“There is no improving public safety without changing the quality of life – in short, crime is a natural product of poverty.”~ Gwendolyn Cook Webb